I have UBER sensitive eyes when it comes to cutting onions. normally, i can just power through an onion really quickly and the burning's not too bad. today, however, i was making soup for about 30 people (just joined a supper swap group) and so i had to cut SEVEN. i started by just seeing how many i could do. the answer? NONE. so then i tried the ol' wives tales, begining with a candle. no luck. then i rinsed the onion under water before cutting. no luck. so i decided to get creative. yep. i put a bag over my head.

but no luck there. still massive burning and flowing of tears. so i called my friend K and asked her, because she is PURE MAGIC in the kitchen, and so i assume she knows everything. she said she'd heard that people put a piece of bread in their mouth while cutting onions to absorb the vapors. well, i'm one of those people that takes things to the next level. if the box says to leave hair color on 15 minutes, i assume what they really mean is 24 minutes. so, instead of holding bread in my mouth, i did this:
i'm not kidding. i really did. it worked for about half an onion. next logical thing to try?
but nope. still the burning. all in all, it took me nearly 45 minutes to get through those stinkin onions. and i had puffy break-up eyes for about six hours. so do you know any good tricks?

6 comments:
"K" here...you are such a great sport! I'm sorry my suggestion didn't work. I really had heard that one, but had I known you were going to take it to the next level...oooo, I could of had some REAL Fun!
Maybe next time ;-)
HAHAHA! I'm sorry about your burning eyes but these pics are HILARIOUS! A good trick - put the onions in the freezer for about 10-15 before you cut them (don't freeze them solid, though). That way the vapors freeze just enough not to release into the air.
These pictures crack me up! Isn't it the sulfuric acid in the onion juice that causes the tears? My only suggestion is wearing a pair of goggles (like swimming goggles).
I always try the burning candle trick, or stick my face in the freezer every few seconds to soothe my burning eyeballs. I'm not sure if I would try your methods, but you look pretty great in that last pic!
Wearing swimming goggles ALWAYS works for me! Give it a shot!
I've had some luck when "peeling" the onions under running cold water.
I've also heard that if you don't open your mouth it helps, but that may have just been my dad trying to get me to shut-up.
Post a Comment