Friday, May 16, 2008

W5D1

ladies, i'm getting nervous....i did w5d1 yesterday. and maybe it's partially because of the unexpected heat, but it was HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD. (also, it's completely puzzling to me that when i ran tuesday i wore a sweatshirt and ear warmer thingies, and yesterday i was dripping sweat.)

this is really freaking me out presently. see, yesterday was three 5 minute runs with three minutes walking in between. THAT'S IT. and two months from now i'm supposed to be able to do an 8k without stopping?!?!?!?! see what i'm saying?!?!?

i'm just at a place where i'm not so sure it's going to happen.

monday will be my first 20 minute non-stop run...maybe that will help? all i know is that about one minute into the third 5 minute run i desperately wanted to stop; it was the first time i really thought i wouldn't make it to the end. and that was just five minutes...i came home saying "oh no oh no oh no!!"

so, i mean, is it REALLY feasible for me to run an 8k eight weeks from now based on where i am today???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep at it mama! we'll both get there somehow..... :)

Jason Hill said...

Breanna, you are totally going to make it. Just stick to the plan. It sounds like you are on a modified version of the c25k, one that has been extended to get you to 8k, is that right? If that is so, just keep hitting the milestones.

The crazy thing about training like this is that each workout pushes you a little farther than the last. This causes 2 things to happen. One, your body complains during the process: "what!?! you've never run this long/far before! I don't like it and I'm going to complain." When this happens to me I remind my legs/stomach/lungs/or-whatever-body-part-is whining that, it is not in charge of how far we run. I am (this is the brain talking). And if I want to run farther than I ever have before, I will. The second thing that happens is after the run your body figures you might try that distance again, so it rebuilds itself to be equipped for that possibility and it even adds a little extra. So you'll find that the next time you push a little farther, you'll reach the spot that was hard last time a little easier. (Of course you are pushing a little farther and that starts the whole cycle again.)

Just remember, you are in charge, not that body part that wants to give-up, and I think you are doing great!